Primary Attorney Contact(s): George W. Martin, Jr.
TAP INTO OUR KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND UNDERSTANDING OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS.
Since its founding, HCMP has handled inbound and outbound international business transactions. We regularly advise domestic and foreign clients in the structuring, negotiation, and documentation of such transactions, as well as in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Critical to success in our work is an understanding of cultural differences and a sensitivity to diverse business styles. In the course of our work, we have developed expertise in a wide range of international practice areas:
- Formation and structuring of business entities, including joint ventures, corporations, and limited liability companies
- Registration and licensing of businesses with government entities
- Foreign and domestic acquisitions
- Financing and investment
- Licensing agreements
- Agency and distributorship agreements
- Manufacturing and supply agreements
- Importing and exporting of goods
- Trademark registration
- Compliance with applicable laws and regulations
Our international clients also benefit from the fact that we are the only Seattle law firm invited to participate in Meritas, a world-wide network of full-service law firms offering high quality legal services. To learn more about how our participation in Meritas can benefit your business, please go to Meritas.
Examples of our work in the International Business area include representation of the Washington State Department of Trade and Economic Development in connection with foreign investment projects, including manufacturing and processing facilities. We also represent clients in:
- A major trading company in connection with joint ventures, financing, licensing, agency, distributorships, manufacturing, and acquisitions in the U.S., including, among others, the acquisition of a food processing plant, a grain processing facility, a fish processing plant, and a computer parts manufacturer.
- The U.S. subsidiary of a major Japanese trading company in connection with acquisitions, financing, and the importing and exporting of food products, steel, chemicals, machinery, equipment, and other products.
- A large Japanese construction company in connection with overseas construction projects, including road-building and related services, and in the formation of joint ventures for the development of new construction technology.
- The U.S. subsidiary of a Japan-based parent in connection with the establishment and operations of an aircraft parts manufacturing plant.
- Japanese corporations and individuals in connection with real estate investments in the U.S. and syndication of such investments in Japan.
- A Japanese clothing manufacturer in connection with the establishment of U.S. subsidiaries, the acquisition of real property and on-going trademark and other business matters.
Peoples Republic of China
- A government-owned corporation established to evaluate and manage international and overseas business investments. We advised the corporation in connection with the formation of an overseas subsidiary corporation and the negotiation and preparation of business agreements relating to the purchase and export of products to China.
- Various U.S. corporations in the evaluation of joint ventures with Chinese partners to manufacture machinery, produce plastics and petroleum products, and develop real estate.
- A PRC entity in connection with contracts with U.S. boxers and promoters for a world-class professional fight card in Beijing.
- A PRC power company in preparing to privatize some of its power plants and list the company on the NYSE.
- A variety of U.S. manufacturers and distributors in the negotiation and documentation of manufacturing, agency and distribution agreements.
- A Hong Kong-based conglomerate with respect to the establishment of U.S. entities, the acquisition and development of real estate in the U.S., the import of wood products and on-going business related matters.
- U.S. and Korean clients in the import and export business and in connection with the evaluation of a variety of joint venture projects.
- A U.S. corporation in the negotiation of a supply contract with a Taiwanese company manufacturing auto parts in China.
- A Thai shipbuilding company in connection with the application of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act to a commercial contract.
- A U.S. client in connection with the buyout of an interest in a U.K. insurance underwriting company.
- A publicly-held U.K. company in the proposed acquisition of one of the largest U.S. aircraft leasing companies.
- A Swiss company in connection with due diligence and the potential acquisition of a U.S. manufacturer of prostheses.
- A U.S. company in a stock exchange with a Swedish company in connection with the creation of a worldwide distribution system for petroleum products.
- A U.S. investment fund in the formation of such fund and the acquisition of soft drink bottling franchise in Mexico.
- A U.S. corporation in the review and evaluation of a government contract to manufacture machinery in Mexico.
- A U.S. corporation in the acquisition of a maquiladora plant in Mexico, which involved the purchase of the stock of a Mexican corporation and the machinery, equipment, and other assets of a U.S. corporation.
- An Alaska Native Village Corporation in connection with its loan to and potential investment in a jungle seismic exploration company.
- A U.S. corporation in establishing a subsidiary corporation in Chile and advice regarding compliance with local laws and regulations in conducting business.
- At the invitation of the Minister of Industry, we prepared and presented seminars in Romania to government officials and business leaders concerning the negotiation, formation, operation, and financing of joint ventures with Western business partners.
- A U.S. corporation negotiating to purchase Nigerian crude oil.